Ludzie stojący w kolejce do wylotuHelp for foreigners

Polish law allows foreigners to settle in Poland on the basis of many different residence permits. Please note that a work permit is not the same as a residence permit. If you have received a permit type A from your employer or a declaration of entrusting work, it does not mean that you will be allowed to stay in Poland, marked with the dates of the work.Documents, that allow you to stay in Poland are:

  • passport with unused 90 days, the so-called "Biometric"

  • visa

  • residence card.

If you are in Poland legally and you do not want to travel to your country of origin to get a visa there, use our services and obtain a residence card. We will help you collect all the necessary documentation, talk to the employer and make sure that the documents are delivered to the Voivode within the required time. We provide comprehensive service and represent you in offices. With us, the whole process will be much easier!

The range of our services includes:

  • assistance in obtaining a residence card or in replacing a residence card;

  • assistance in legalizing the stay of foreigners staying in Poland illegally;

  • accelerating the issuance of a decision authorizing a stay;

  • registration of residence of an EU citizen;

  • assistance in obtaining a residence card for an EU citizen’s family member.


Permanent or temporary residence card

You can obtain a residence card for the following purposes:

  • erformance of a paid activity (work);

  • performance of a paid activity in a field requiring high qualifications;

  • studies - external studies, post-secondary school;

  • full-time studies;

  • marriage with a Polish citizen;

  • stay with a family member;

  • conducting research;

  • conducting a business activity.

For each of the above-mentioned proceedings, it is necessary to collect different documents and prove various circumstances. Our office specializes in assistance in obtaining residence cards for foreigners. We encourage you to contact us – we will help you in completing the relevant documents and we will represent you in dealings with authorities.


Temporary stay of a foreigner

Foreigners who plan to stay in Poland for more than 3 months, may apply for a temporary residence permit. Such a permit is issued for a maximum of 3 years, and its validity period depends on the basis of the permit. The range of our services includes assistance in obtaining a temporary residence permit for work, study, work in a profession requiring high qualifications, family residence permits, marriage, residence of minor children, cohabitation, as well as running a business.


Permanent residence permit

In some circumstances, foreigners, who plan to stay in Poland permanently may apply for a permanent residence permit. This permit entitles you to work in Poland without the need to obtain a work permit. Such permission may be obtained by:

  • children of a foreigner, who has a permanent residence permit in Poland or a long-term resident's EU residence permit;

  • children of a Polish citizen, remaining under parental care;

  • persons of Polish origin who intend to settle in Poland permanently;

  • foreigners married to a Polish citizen for at least 3 years before submitting the application - the condition is, however, living in Poland continuously for at least 2 years on the basis of a temporary residence permit;

  • victims of human trafficking - living in Poland for at least a year, cooperating with law enforcement authorities in criminal proceedings and having well-founded fears of return to their country of origin;

  • holders of a valid Pole's Card who intend to settle in the territory of the Republic of Poland permanently.

An application for a permanent residence permit may also be submitted by foreigners living in Poland continuously for a period of not less than 5 years on the basis of refugee status, subsidiary protection or a residence permit for humanitarian reasons, or for a period of more than 10 years on the basis of a tolerated stay permit. This also applies to foreigners who have been granted asylum in Poland.

The decision in the case of obtaining a permanent residence permit is issued for an indefinite period, however, the residence card itself is valid for 10 years - after their expiry, it must be replaced.


Illegal stay

If the period of your residence permit in Poland has expired or the visa has expired, you are staying in the territory of the Republic of Poland illegally. Foreigners in such a situation are at risk of deportation and being banned from entering the territory of the country. If you find yourself in such a situation, contact our office - we will help you legalize your stay.


Long-term EU residence permit

The long-term EU residence permit entitles to permanent residence in Poland for an indefinite period. The residence card issued on the basis of this permit is valid for 5 years - after that it must be replaced with a new plastic card. This permit also entitles you to work in the territory of the Republic of Poland.

You can obtain a long-term resident's residence permit if:

  • you have been staying in Poland legally and continuously for at least 5 years;

  • you have a stable and regular source of income (for at least 3 years and you can prove it with relevant documents);

  • you have a health insurance;

  • you have a legal title to dwelling premises;

  • you have a document that confirms a temporary place of living registration or a certificate confirming the impossibility of obtaining such registration;

  • you are proficient in Polish at least level B1 and have a document confirming it.


How to obtain Polish citizenship?

Paszport w walizceCitizens of the Republic of Poland have constitutional rights as well as other rights resulting from the act. Polish citizenship can be obtained:

  • by the power of law;

  • by being granted Polish citizenship;

  • by being recognised as a Polish citizen;

  • by the reinstatement of citizenship.

Recognition as a Polish citizen takes place on request of the person concerned, who submitted an application to the Voivode, proper for the place of residence. A foreigner may be recognized as a Polish citizen if:

  • has been staying continuously in the territory of the Republic of Poland for at least 3 years on the basis of a permanent residence permit, a long-term EU residence permit or the right of permanent residence, and has a stable and regular source of income in the Republic of Poland and a has a legal title to dwelling premises;

  • has been staying continuously in the territory of the Republic of Poland for at least 2 years (on the basis of a permanent residence permit, long-term EU residence permit or the right of permanent residence) and has been married to a Polish citizen for at least 3 years or has no citizenship;

  • has been holding the refugee status and has been continuously on the territory of the Republic of Poland for at least 2 years;

  • in the case of minors, if one of the parents is a Polish citizen or Polish citizenship has been restored to him (the consent of the other parent is required);

  • has been staying continuously and legally in the territory of the Republic of Poland for at least 10 years, has a permanent residence permit / long-term EU resident permit / permanent residence permit and a stable and regular source of income, as well as a legal title to dwelling premises;

Another situation is the granting of citizenship by the President of the Republic of Poland. In this situation, there are no strict rules and conditions that a foreigner should meet in order to be granted Polish citizenship.

In order to obtain a confirmation of Polish citizenship, an application should be submitted to the voivode, proper for the place of residence (or last place of residence in Poland).


EU citizen registration and residence cards

European Union citizens may stay on the territory of Poland for up to 3 months without the need to register. After that time, an EU citizen who plans to stay in Poland is obliged to register his stay in the territory of the Republic of Poland.

For this purpose, it is necessary to submit the application - not later than on the day following the lapse of 3 months counted from the date of entry into the territory of the Republic of Poland. The following documents should be attached to the application:

  • a valid travel document or other document confirming identity and citizenship,

  • 4 recent photos,

  • other documents - depending on the reason for the EU citizen’s registration.

If an EU member stays in the territory of the Republic of Poland with their family (a foreigner who is not an EU citizen), after 3 months the family member must obtain a residence card of an EU citizen's family member in Poland. Importantly, this also applies to situations where a family member has a valid visa issued for a period longer than 3 months.


Rules concerning US citizens’ stay in Poland

Due to the fact that Poland is a signatory state to the Schengen Agreement, US citizens traveling with a valid passport for tourism or business purposes, may enter the Republic of Poland without a visa for a period of 90 days once every 180 days.

However, the right to entry and visa-free stay of US citizens in Poland does not apply to stay for the purpose of work. In order to be employed, a US citizen must obtain a visa in order to work.


Appeal proceedings

We conduct appeal proceedings for people who obtained a negative decision on the submitted application for legalization of stay and in other cases. A perso has 14 days to appeal against the decision. If you are in this situation - we encourage you to make an appointment with our lawyers!

If you have not received the decision within 2 months from the date of submitting the application or within 1 month from the date of submitting the appeal, we will help you write an urging letter or a complaint. Remember that during the appeal procedure, the stay of a foreigner in Poland is legal, and the basis for stay is then a stamp in the passport.